Songs That Changed the World--The Most Important Songs of the Rock Era: "Just a Girl" by No Doubt

    In this song, No Doubt blasts the traditional gender roles that show condescension towards women and constitute a glass ceiling for females.  This is "Just a Girl".




    "Just a Girl"
    by No Doubt

    Words by Gwen Stefani, Music by Tom Dumont


    Take this pink ribbon off my eyes
    I'm exposed
    And it's no big surprise
    Don't you think I know
    Exactly where I stand
    This world is forcing me
    To hold your hand
    'Cause I'm just a girl, little 'ol me
    Don't let me out of your sight
    I'm just a girl, all pretty and petite
    So don't let me have any rights

    Oh...I've had it up to here!
    The moment that I step outside
    So many reasons
    For me to run and hide
    I can't do the little things I hold so dear
    'Cause it's all those little things
    That I fear

    'Cause I'm just a girl I'd rather not be
    'Cause they won't let me drive
    Late at night I'm just a girl,
    Guess I'm some kind of freak
    'Cause they all sit and stare
    With their eyes

    I'm just a girl,
    Take a good look at me
    Just your typical prototype

    Oh...I've had it up to here!
    Oh...am I making myself clear?
    I'm just a girl
    I'm just a girl in the world...
    That's all that you'll let me be!
    I'm just a girl, living in captivity
    Your rule of thumb
    Makes me worry some

    I'm just a girl, what's my destiny?
    What I've succumbed to Is making me numb
    I'm just a girl, my apologies
    What I've become is so burdensome
    I'm just a girl, lucky me
    Twiddle-dum there's no comparison

    Oh...I've had it up to!
    Oh...I've had it up to!!
    Oh...I've had it up to here! 
    Source URL: http://acsblogrock.blogspot.com/2011/09/songs-that-changed-world-most-important_7082.html
    Visit You Tube Music Blog for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive